Monday, October 28, 2019

Queen Ann Olive Oil

For the most part my friends know that I am pretty provincial, preferring to avoid spending much time in the city.The older I get the less I enjoy it.  However, this last Saturday I had the opportunity to spend the day on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle.  It is an area filled with beautiful neighborhoods, thriving small business and streets lined with lovely old Oak and Maple trees. 






I was there with a group of friends from my book club to visit The Queen Ann Olive Oil Company which one of our members, and my good friend, had recently acquired.





 I had only visited an olive oil store once before and I had never been to a sampling.  I was not disappointed. There were dozens of different flavors of olive oil and balsamic  vinegars. What a fun and tasty place!  Of course, there were non food items as well. 






 




We were given an informational talk on the various types of olive oils and where they come from.  Guess what?  It's not just Italy.


After that we were able to do some tasting.  The choices were amazing!  I was most interested in the flavored oils.




Each container let us know in detail about that oil and how to use it as well as, what to pair it with.  After several tastings, I chose this Herbes De Provence and paired  it with Neapoliton Balsamic.  I think it's going to go great on chicken and roasted vegetables.





After our shopping was done we all walked around the block for lunch. (Yes, I walked, but with a cane.)  After all that tasting, what did I choose but a chopped salad with oil and vinegar dressing of course!




When lunch was over my friend and I stayed a little longer in Seattle and she took me up to Kerry Park which has a gorgeous  view overlooking the city.  Once again I was really missing my good camera.






The clouds were rolling back in and it was windy and cold, so we ended our day with visit to a local coffee house.  My friend had a Turkish coffee while I indulged in a flavored latte served in a real cup!  I was impressed when it arrived and complimented my barista.   This wasn't the local Starbucks by any means.  I guess this is the city life.  whoo hoo!! 






Finally, I arrived home to unpack my bag.  In addition to my olive oil flavors, I also selected some Apricot Balsamic as well as a Cranberry Pear Balsamic.  Mix a little of either one of those with some sparkling water and you have a delicious low calorie drink called a Shrub.  My friend introduced me to one of those at Book Club and I can't wait to try it at home.




I hope you enjoyed my little tour of Queen Ann and the Olive Oil Company.  Please feel free to leave a note and let me know you stopped by, and if you have some suggestions on how you use olive oils or balsamic vinegars I can't wait to hear them. Have a Blessed Day.  Adieu!





































 

8 comments:

  1. It looks as if you had a lovely outing with your friends. It was interesting to see the different products of olive oil available as well as the flavoured balsamic vinegars. I like to make up salad dressings using both plus herbs from the garden and a little seasoning. We phoned my sister-in-law in the Italian village south of Rome and they have started the olive harvest. It seems early this year but they like to do it slowly. It's a good area for growing olive trees. They'll take the olives like other family members to the olive mill to have them processed into oil. Others will be preserved and bottled. You took some beautiful photos of the city. Continued healing and blessings. (My painful knee is a little better if I rest and I'm waiting for my Physiotherapy appointment and advice). xxL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, Continued healing for your knee as well my friend. I am learning much about olive oils from my friend. I have used it from the grocery store but that tastes nothing like these fresh pressed oils. How wonderful that your family can use oil fresh pressed from their own trees.

      Delete
  2. Hi there! Wow, your fall colors are really gorgeous. Here on the southern border things are not near so colorful yet; the leaves that do change color are still mostly green. Your day out in the city looks marvelous. How fun to spend time like that with friends. The olive oil shop looks really special, and the selections you chose sound very appealing. I don't know a whole lot about olive oil, but I know several Greek ladies from church who only buy olive oil from certain places in Greece. Everyone has her favorite! I don't have any tips for you, ignoramus that I am in that department. Maybe you will share some of your cooking results with us. I'm glad you were able to share a taste adventure with your friends, and even walk around the block (with a cane). That's progress! Hooray, and thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, I really did have a lovely outing with my friends. It was a beautiful autumn day. I haven't really cooked with olive oil all that much either, so I am excited to give it all a try and taste the results. I know that Italy is the number one country that consumes olive oil, but I am guessing that Greece probably comes pretty close.

      Delete
  3. What a fun trip! I just recently watched a video on making shrubs. Sounds interesting and healthy. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, It was a lot of fun. Perhaps I need to go into Seattle a little more often. Since I don't drink alcohol anymore for health reasons I have found my introduction to shrubs to be a nice alternative.

      Delete
  4. Love the views from Kerry Park and when we lived on the west side of the Cascades we'd always make sure to take our company there. Balsamic drizzled on strawberries is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried some balsamic over melon this summer. It was delicious. I will have to try it on strawberries.

    ReplyDelete