Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Tree lightings and a Christmas Tea

 I have been feeling a bit blue these past few weeks as I have been really missing my daughter.  This will be the first time in her entire life that she has not been a part of our Christmas celebrations. However, the reason for the season has not changed, and I have some lovely friends who have been helping me get into the spirit of the holidays.

My husband and I went down to the cove park in town to attend the local Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony last weekend. It was fun to see our little town all decked out in its Christmas finery.  The community band was playing, children were busy writing letters to Santa, and free cups of hot chocolate were being passed around while we waited for the tree to light up.






It felt almost magical looking out over the lake at night.   



 

Our local town museum was open.  So we stepped inside to see the old turn of the 20th century mill house all decorated for the season.

 



We were so busy looking around inside the house that we missed the actual tree light ceremony, lol!! When we stepped back outside there it was, our city tree marking the beginning of our town's Christmas celebrations. 

Walking back to our car we spied this home all decked out like Babes in Toyland. I was a huge Annette Funicello fan as a child.


 



Three days after that lively celebration, I was invited to an amazing Victorian Tea given by one of my bible study friends. My friend is of Norwegian descent and her entire home was a refection of her love of her cultural heritage and more importantly her love of God. 






 

 

She put the Afternoon Tea served at the Royal Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia to shame with her gorgeous table settings and delicious menu of tasty treats, all of which she made herself.  There aren't enough words to describe all her wonderful flavor combinations.


 












It was such a lovely presentation.  It felt like we were transported to another place and time.  I couldn't have imagined a more delightfully charming and delectable way to begin the Christmas season. I returned home with a heart full of appreciation to have been given the opportunity to celebrate, not just good food, but also the company of wonderful friends.
 
As this Advent/Christmas Season continues to unfold may each of you be blessed with your own opportunities to share special times with those who are near and dear to you.
 
Adieu!
 
 

 
 


10 comments:

  1. How very lovely to go to a Christmas tea. Everything looked so nice. That was a loving gesture of time by the hostess. The tree lighting ceremony looked nice, too. Sorry you will be missing your daughter this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a very generous act of love towards her friends. I am very blessed to be included as one of them.

      Delete
  2. It's sad when loved ones live far away from you. I'm glad that your friends are a support and invite you into their homes for tea and refreshments. Your friend has put on a delicious spread. Your lakeside views look beautiful and the town looks festive. Thinking of you dear blog friend. Every blessing to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking in many ways it will be harder for my daughter's family, as I at least have my two son's families living close by. I still remember my first holiday without extended family. It was a hard transition. I continue to pray for her as she makes new friends and a new life for herself and her family Praise God we live in a time when we can still communicate face to face from across the country.

      Delete
  3. Oh Gloria. That was a delightful column. Nice photos, too. The afternoon tea looked especially festive and beautiful. This is a good time of year to be deeply thankful for all we have , right? We are so blessed. Thanks for your visits and comments. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice thing to say. Thank you. My friend's tea really inspired me to be looking for ways I could be more of a blessing to my friends and family during this season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just so impressed with the menu your friend produced for the tea. She did so much work and everything looks fantastic.
    I am sorry you'll be missing your dear daughter at Christmas.
    Granny Marigold ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! The tea look both beautiful and delicious. She obviously has quite the knack. What a nice memory you made. Babes in Toyland...that brings back memories. I too was a huge Annette fan. You community tree lighting event looks wonderful. How nice you got to enjoy it. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the beautiful decorations look wonderful!! Love the tea table, sooooooo pretty. And the good all looks so yummy and of course low calorie. Hope you had wonderful holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Gloria, what a Victorian tea that was! It sounded just splendid. Your friend did a fabulous job both in the food but also the decorating. What joy! So glad you were able to attend before the sickness hit. Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete