Saturday, November 4, 2023

Walking in the Arboretum

 A few days ago I woke up to the sound of the rain that had  been falling on the roof all night.  We had a little respite yesterday, but with more storms on the way, it won't be long before the brilliant autumn foliage of the season will only be a memory as late fall takes over. That's why I was so happy that I was able to take one last autumn walk with a friend through her neighborhood and local arboretum. 

Sometimes I think it might be nice to live in an old fashioned neighborhood. My friend's street was lined with lovely trees in all stages of color.




The arboretum was just a few blocks away.





The first hard frost hadn't come yet so there were still a few late summer flowers scattered among the evergreens and maples.



 




There is just something so incredibly peaceful about a walk through a garden. The world seems to stop for just a little while.






 




"We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and
restlessness.  God is the friend of silence.  See how nature - trees,
flowers, grass - grows in silence. See the stars, the moon and the sun,
how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls."
Mother Theresa

 

 Thank you for stopping by and may God fill you with his blessings.

Adieu! 

 


 
 


 



 


 

12 comments:

  1. Our weather here in B.C. is similar to yours today...wild and wet. I enjoyed coming on your walk through the arboretum with its Fall colours and still pretty flowers. All too soon that will be done for another year. Have a great week Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thank you Granny Marigold. It has certainly been a wet and blustery day, but we did manage to take a quick walk along the lake between rain showers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely place to walk. Glad you made it before the browning of much of the growing things. Lovely photos of the color you saw. We have had steady rain all day today. Makes one very lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When It's storming outside I just want to curl up with a good book or movie and let the rain come down.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful quote by Mother Theresa. And thank you for a glimpse of the arboretum; it brought back memories I had forgotten about of the time Deb and I walked all around that same arboretum many years ago. The fall colors you have shared with us are truly stunning! You are so blessed to have well-defined seasons in your corner of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a pretty neighborhood isn't it? I do enjoy living in a place that has four seasons. I remember when you came with the thought of moving north. And while I know you are happy that you decided to remain in the southwest, it would have been lovely to have had you living nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty neighborhood to walk in. Most of our trees are pretty close to done, so not alot of color left. I've been raking and blowing and mulching leaves for several weeks. And you still saw some flowers. That's impressive. I'm pea green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a couple of nights of hard frost not long after that walk, followed by several rain storms. So the flowers are gone now. However, I am amazed at how many trees are still holding onto their color in spite of the wind and the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great walk you took us on, Gloria. Just beautiful. Your friend's street is quite lovely with all those old houses and the splendorous fall trees. Hope your Thanksgiving was terrific. Mine was extremely blessed and I remain filled with gratitude to the Lord. Hugs. Susan p.s. Thanks so much for visiting Writing Straight from the Heart and commenting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colours are beautiful. It's a good place to walk at this time of year while the trees are still hanging onto their leaves and there's a few flowers left to see. We had our first snow fall last night, only a sprinkling but enough to let us know that winter's knocking on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for taking us along to the arboretum -- the many plants that are putting forth their last glorious display look even more lovely when they are still wet from the rain -- do you find it so? I haven't been very good about taking walks, but when I look out the window these days, I really want to go exploring -- well, part of me does. The other part wants to sit by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Gloria, I'm glad that I can still comment. I send love and blessings for a wonderful Christmas season as well as good health and special times in the coming new year.

    ReplyDelete