Saturday, July 6, 2024

May flowers that blossom in June

 "April showers bring May flowers that blossom in June".  Now, here we are in July already!

In early June it was good to see that the Iris bulbs we transplanted last fall made it safely through the chill of a late winter. Baloo the Bear came out of hibernation to welcome them in.




A walk through my mother's garden. "Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do...."

 



"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Does anyone know what this flower is called?  It traveled from a neighbor's yard into my mother's garden. Even if it turns out to be a weed, I really like it.

For the most part, at my house I have been concentrating on the front courtyard planters and pots.  I love the Mediterranean look of  geraniums overflowing from pots surrounding the fountain and pond. I am amazed at how these Hosta plants have thrived in their planters. This is their third year and they are huge!





 We watched our 17 month old grandson a couple of weeks ago.  He was quite intrigued by the fountain.  I thought about adding some small goldfish for the grandchildren to feed and to look at.  Unfortunately, when I tried adding them a few years ago the raccoons kept coming to try to fish them out of the water.  They made quite a mess! I don't think I want to deal with that again. The orange lilies in the corner of the picture were a Mother's Day gift from our daughter a number of years ago. They keep coming back every year.  Such a treat!


The courtyard is just as beautiful at night as it is in the daytime. .

 



The lighted teapot is another Mother's Day gift from our daughter.  She usually gives me something for the garden each year.  I love the way the light reflects against the wall.  It's a wonderful place to spend a quiet summer evening. 

Of course it was anything but quiet two nights ago as the neighborhood celebrated The 4th of July.  The fireworks went on until after Midnight, but it was a glorious and joyful sight, even if it was "a bit" noisy!

 
Happy Birthday USA!

Adieu!



 



11 comments:

  1. The unknown blue flowers are called Canterbury Bells here in the UK. So glad you had a good 4th July Day. Your garden is pretty at night. Every blessing upon you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. A pretty name for a pretty flower. Hopefully, I can add some to my garden next season.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty courtyard garden! Also, according to the plant identification feature in my iPhone camera, that is a peach-leaved bellflower, specifically campanula persicifolia 'Takion Blue.' They apparently come in white as well. And speaking of color, I see there is another redhead in the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we definitely have a new redhead in the family. He gets it from both sides of the family. He sure is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gloria, your garden with the fountain, the lights, everything----it is so beautiful. I would love to sit by it for sure. And the little grand is adorable, too.
    Thank you, Gloria, for your visit to Writing Straight from the Heart and for your comment, too. I love when I see that you have visited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. It's always fun to visit your blog.

      Delete
  5. I see you are getting different flower names. Try looking up balloon flowers, platycodon grandiflorus. We have those growing around the complex in blue and white, and that’s what I call them. Lovely gardens, lovely you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the compliment Cousin! Another possible name for my flower! I think I need to take a picture down to the local nursery and see what I can find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little ones love water features, don't they!! Your grandson is a real cutie.
    Your many flowers are so pretty and I really like that lit-up watering can with the crystal "water" flowing out of it.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that the truth?! Rain puddles too! Thank you for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful gardens, and lovely water feature. I miss my daisies; but they got so tall and weppy, and took over I got rid of them. My lilies are beginning to dwindle. They bloomed early, much like the rest of the flowers this year due to the heat, so therefore things are coming to an end faster than normal.

    ReplyDelete