Tuesday, August 15, 2023

The Phantom Rehearsal Dinner Party

 This has certainly been a whirlwind of a summer! My right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, and I seem to be spinning in circles as I bounce from event to event.  It has already been almost a month since our son's wedding and I have barely posted anything about it.

I had planned on sharing loads of photos of the wedding rehearsal dinner party we hosted here two days before his wedding day. The Inspector and I had been working on the yard since the beginning of May, planting flowers and cleaning decks, lighting the fountains and so forth.  We put up large tents with tables and chairs to seat fifty guests and I decorated each table with tablecloths in the wedding colors with mason jars filled with fresh wild flowers from the gardens and farmers market.  We had grilled salmon and beef brisket as well as trays of grilled fresh vegetable.  I made four huge salads and  baskets filled with warm crusty bread.  It was my new DIL's birthday as well, so I had a lovely cake table too.  Everything looked beautiful and the food was absolutely delicious, but....I was so busy getting ready and hosting that I completely FORGOT TO TAKE A SINGLE PICTURE!!

 Most of the time we all want to share the beautiful side of our lives.  However, sometime the reality of life takes over. This is a picture of my kitchen taken just before I went to bed after hours of cleanup when the party was over.  We were too exhausted to finish.

My mother, daughter and I had put together a dozen jars filled with garden flowers. Most of them wilted pretty quickly in the summer heat but I was able to keep a couple of bouquets for a few days.




The front courtyard fountain looked lovely as our guests both arrived,  



and throughout the evening as they departed.







I really did host a wonderful rehearsal dinner party, even if I can't share it with you all.  Most of the memories of it will remain in my own heart, and hopefully in the memories of our son and our new daughter. Isn't that the best place anyway?  For it is what is in the heart that counts most of all.

Adieu!




13 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of work, but so worth it. All those happy memories which will last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was quite the challenge. My new DIL has a lot of food allergies and I wanted to be sure she was able to eat the majority of what was on the table so we made everything ourselves. And living where there are a lot of animals (raccoons, squirrels, deer, coyotes) I had to put most things up last minute which made things a bit more chaotic.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Gloriade, that wedding celebration sounded fabulous. You are a class act. I'm sure the bride and groom will NEVER forget that day and evening. How wonderful. By the way, thank you so much for all of your visits to Writing Straight from the Heart! I always love to see that you have stopped by. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It was bit crazy for a few days, but we got it all done and everyone had fun. I enjoy reading your blog Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an amazing rehearsal dinner you planned and executed. Maybe others took photos that they can share with you. That kitchen shows evidence of a grand event. :) It takes a while to recuperate from major events such as these! Congratulations on the wedding of your son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ellen. It was a bit exhausting but a joyfully wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing it all must have been. I love the outdoor pictures with the flowers and fountain. So pretty. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. The fountain lights were an added bonus that came with our new garden pump this year. The watering can solar lantern was a Mother's Day gift from our daughter. I have really been enjoying them when I sit outside on summer evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a shame you don't have any pictures. Perhaps one of your quests took some pictures. You could send out a group email asking? Lovely fountain. Hope you're able to relax a bit now and catch your breath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandy, The summer continues to be very busy with a second wedding and a new baby arriving soon. Hopefully in the Autumn months things will start to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Gloriade......what an enchanting wedding you hosted! Everything was so beautiful. Wow! You did a totally awesome job. Also, Gloriade, thank you kindly for stopping by Witing Straight from the Heart and for commenting, too. I am a major pack rat so I understand how you"d have to leave the bunny behind. She was almost free so I brought her home. I am much more discerning with my purchases these days but I am quite hopeless. Hope you have a good week ahead@ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous fountain! Took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank You Sandi. It has been a work in progress for several years. This summer it finally came out the way I always imagined it would.

    ReplyDelete