Sunday, August 16, 2020

Ocean Shores

 

I can only be away from the ocean for so long before I begin to get cravings for the sounds of waves crashing on the shore and the feel of sand between my toes.  So last week we decided to take a quick trip over to Ocean Shores.  There we were able to walk the beaches to our hearts content.  The town is located on spit of sand surrounded on three sides by water so there are plenty of places to explore.

It was late afternoon the first day we arrived, but the sun was still shining when we parked our car on the sand.  There was only time for a short walk before we headed back into town for dinner and to get ourselves settled into our hotel.

 

 

 

After dinner, of course we had to stop in at picturesque Sharky's.  It's a local icon.  That's as close as I ever want to get to a shark!


 

 

As we explored the beaches we were very surprised to find hundreds of  what seemed to be dead crabs littering the sand.  After a little research I discovered that crabs actually molt and leave their shells behind as they grow new ones.  A strong storm current will toss the shells on the shore..interesting and a relief to learn that nothing more sinister was going on.


On our second day we headed over to the bay side to wander through the driftwood and rocks on shore.  The sky was overcast but the day was warm, perfect for walking.







We spotted lots of rather creative driftwood "architecture".  Has anyone seen Robinson Crusoe around?

 

 This was as close to a sunset as we were able to see that day.  I loved how the light sparkled on the water even in the fog.

 

 

 

The sun finally did shine through the next morning and there was time for one last walk on the shore before heading for home.

 

 
 


 

 Watching these girls playing in the water reminded me of all the times I spent with my brothers and my cousins at the beach by our grandparent's cottage.  They are such joyful memories.


 

 


 The roar of the waves, the sounds of the gulls, the scent of salt on the breeze and the feel of sand between my toes will always mean home to me. 

Eucharisteo!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 









 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 





















12 comments:

  1. I've never seen the ocean. But through your words and beautiful photos, I feel like I visited by proxy. And I know it had to be much more wonderful in person. Thank you for sharing this! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I grew up on the coast of Southern California. The ocean is a huge part of me.

      Delete
  2. It's a long time since we've been able to get to the coast as we live too far away for a day trip. We used to make it there for a longer break away. So glad that you had a wonderful time. Some of your photos haven't appeared, but I can imagine what a special location it was and reminding you of former times by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can drive to Puget Sound in about 30 minutes but it's about a 4-5 hour trip to the ocean so we don't get there as often as I would like. I am sorry about the photos. I noticed they showed up on my computer but not on my phone. I will have to figure that out.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful day at the beach!! Thank you for bringing us with you through your gorgeous photos and all the beach-y details!! I haven`t been to the beach yet this summer, and I miss it!!! Blessed by your sharing!!! Can feel your ♡ of thanks!! Blessings to you ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The majesty of the Lord truly manifests itself in glory in the power of the sea!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you were able to go!!! I thank God for this blessing for you!!!! PS: I am guessing you are using the new blogger as not all your pictures showed up today :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth, Yes it was such a joy to be able to walk on the sand once again. I am glad you were able to at least see some of the photos. I tried a collage for the first time but I guess they didn't post correctly. I really don't care for this new blogger but hopefully I will get it figured out!

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you could go to the ocean for a few days. Lovely photos. Some photos wouldn't come through for me but there were plenty that did which were nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ellen. I love the lake, the mountains and the forests of the place where we live but there is something magical about the sea that will always call to me. I am sorry some of the photos didn't come through. I will have to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ocean Shores . . . I remember our visit there with you years ago. We still have the wind chimes we bought there. It's lovely to spend some time by the sea. I'm glad to know you are over your bad colds or whatever that was mentioned in your last post. Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Sara, thank you, we are feeling much better.Yes, I remember that visit and the time we spent at the seashore.

    ReplyDelete