Saturday, December 17, 2016

Making Holiday Memories

This is always such a busy time of the year and like everyone else we are trying to make the most of it.  Getting the Christmas tree is one of those traditions that everyone loves and wants to be a part of.  We have been cutting our own tree for more than 35 years and even though the kids are all grown, they wouldn't miss it. In fact,  one year after my daughter moved out into her own place, I decided to purchase a tree to support our Church Youth group's fund raiser.  My daughter was so disappointed she wouldn't decorate it when she came over because it wasn't "our" tree.  We all still laugh about it but we have never made that "mistake" again.

This year was cold and clear when we headed to the Christmas Tree Farm but we were ready to go
Even Grandma comes along although truthfully I really worry about her falling on the uneven ground.
 

The youngest always has to pick his own personal favorite.

 
The whole crew gathered around  their choice for one of  the trees.


We picked two trees this year.  One for our house and one for the oldest one's new home.

Oldest has made his choice.
 
And here is ours




It was a good thing we went tree cutting when we did because the next day we had our first snow.

I woke up to the sight of big fat snowflakes swirling around in the sky.  Naturally, I had to grab my camera.





 We only got a dusting but it was fun to walk around feeling the icy wetness of the snowflakes on my face and listening to the soft crunch under my boots.  It definitely got me into the feeling of Christmas.

While the snow only lasted for the day, the weather has definitely been COLD with temperatures dipping down into the 20's and even the teens in some places.  Now we are living in a garden of frost which has a beauty all it's own.


There's the sparkle of the ice crystals on a spider web illuminating the tiny threads.


And the foot prints on the frozen blades of grass that tell me a deer passed through here in the early morning.



 I love the extra texture the ice brings to the leaves on this Nandina.




 It's been snowing a little bit again this morning but inside all is cozy and warm as The Investigator builds a fire in the wood burning stove.



The house is all decorated for the holiday season.




 Passing through the french doors into the dining room all has been transformed from fall to Christmas











And our chosen Christmas tree stands guard over the gifts our daughter has brought over to open on Christmas Morning.


As we continue to enjoy this special time of the year with our loved ones.




   I pray that each of us remembers the importance of Keeping Christmas Well. see here





Merry Christmas













4 comments:

  1. I remember the fun days of looking for a live Christmas tree with the kids! Now us old folks just use an artificial one! Enjoy your Christmas! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that I will be like my mom, walking among the trees with my cane. Merry Christmas Nancy

      Delete
  2. Love your family. And they cooperated. Not always easy to get the kids (at our house) to be agreeable! And a baby coming....and togetherness. You make it look so warm and comforting as I always love looking into your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind thoughts. Like everyone else we have our joys and sorrows, moments of celebration and family squabbles but that's what makes a family. Our life isn't perfect but believe me, I know that I have been blessed beyond what I deserve.

    ReplyDelete