Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Christmas Cookies and China

Everyone knows that one of the big anticipations of any holiday is eating all the special and traditional foods that make up part of the fun.  At our house that means homemade Christmas cookies.  This year I decided to try a couple of new recipes I discovered on Pinterest.

These are called Cranberry Shortbread.  I really liked the idea of refrigerator cookies, just mix the dough, form into rolls, chill and then slice and bake, so easy.   They were delicious too.




 


This was another new recipe, Toffee Butter Ice Box Cookies, so yummy and again so easy to make.





But the star attractions when it comes to cookies are the cut out sugar cookies.  As far as the whole family is concerned, it isn't Christmas Day without them.  This has been the family recipe since I was a little girl baking with my mom  here.


 Outside the snow was falling and The Inspector stepped out back to catch this photo of a deer out under one of the apple trees.


Inside was the warmth of the kitchen and the smell of freshly baked cookies, heavenly!

One pan going into the oven and one pan coming out.


This was a plate of finished Christmas Cookies all ready for dessert on Christmas Day.  Didn't they look scrumptious? They certainly didn't last long!




~~~~~~~

Over the years to save time in the kitchen on Christmas day I have started using paper plates and cups for serving. It certainly keeps things casual and easy throughout the holidays.  But this year I was encouraged by a sister blogger to bring out the china and make the holiday meals more festive and special for my family and guests.  

I did still use plastic cups and paper for the snack table.


There were only five of us on Christmas Eve.  I used the stoneware for that.  However, I must admit to paper plates for breakfast on Christmas morning. 




Everyone enjoyed the annual Christmas morning egg casserole, fruit and homemade cinnamon rolls, baked by my daughter.


For Christmas dinner all the lovely china and crystal stemware came out.  The beautiful hand crochet lace table runner was a gift from a dear family friend who was like an aunt to me growing up.  The china was chosen by The Inspector and myself when we were married almost 43 years ago. I must admit, it certainly made the meal feel so much more festive and special.  I really should use it more often. 








 As we continue to enjoy celebrating the 12 days of Christmas I am looking forward to having a dear cousin come to spend the New Year with us.  I also remember going to an Epiphany Breakfast with an aunt & uncle in Texas a few years ago.  Perhaps I will consider hosting something like that next year.  We shall see.  Meanwhile, let's not walk away from Christmas just yet, let's just keep savoring the season.



For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given
and the government shall be upon his shoulders
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor
Mighty God
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace
Isaiah 9:6





13 comments:

  1. Hi Gloriade! Thanks for coming by my blog! Yummy! Your sugar cookies look delicious! I love it that we have a lot of the same cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun (and a tasty treat)to make and eat cookies. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. oh, that is such a very very *lovely* Christmas dinner table!! and the table runner and table decoration with your beautiful red goblets and China, such a lovely table!!! You really made it so beautiful! And you have a flair for decorating - both in China and in the table decoration - many do not seem to know how to do this - but it is clear that you do! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog so that I could see this!!! I look forward to blogging again in the new year and sharing (after Jan 7) my Christmas table! I am also doing a belated birthday dinner for at least 19 (my biggest party yet!) and am in the middle of ordering things for this!!! Thanks again for this post and your lovely blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I showed this to Mr Husband and he mentioned this - it's not an online article though, sadly. ning on Tradition
    Joanne L. Canda on How Using Great-Grandmother's China Has Made Us a Godlier Family

    Read more: http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/issue.php?id=199#ixzz4UBgBwc00

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice compliment, Thank you. It was seeing your lovely table settings that inspired me. I have been blessed with many beautiful bits and pieces of china and glassware over the years which makes it easy to set a nice table. I am looking forward to seeing your Christmas table. I am sure it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful table, and reminds me of old times from our childhood days. Your home is very festive and lovely and I'm so glad you got out the china - it was worth it. Those cookies do look very wonderful. It's a blessing to gather with family on holidays. Have a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good memories, aren't they? It would be wonderful if we could gather for more holidays so we could make some new ones. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Love seeing inside your home everytime. So pretty. And with your baking you've calmed my rattled wee head. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woke up thinking of you my friend and praying that this first day will go better than you expected. Blessings Melissa.

      Delete
  7. It all looks so wonderful! Hope you have a wonderful year now. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a 'footprint' in the comment box.
    What a lovely post... enjoyed the cookie photos and the pictures of Christmas at your house.

    Wishing you a wonderful New Year and may it hold many blessings for you and your family.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for stopping by. It was so lovely meeting you.

    ReplyDelete