Monday, October 31, 2016

October Memories


 It's been pouring down rain all morning on this last day of a very wet and soggy month.  With almost 10 inches of rain, October 2016 is now officially the wettest October on record for the Northwest.  It's a perfect day for curling up with a cozy blanket and a warm cup of tea.  


This is my favorite blanket.  My mom made if for me.  She isn't really all that crafty, but a few years ago when it was all the rage to tie fleece material together to make blankets and pillows she made several for the grand kids and one for me.  It's my first choice when I want to be cozy and warm.  The teapot was a gift from my daughter, the book of blessings from the church library.  I want to prepare my heart for the month of November which starts tomorrow with All Saints Day.  I can start by remembering some the blessings of the past month.
~~~

1.  The Last Summer flowers clinging tenaciously to the vine in the fall storms.



 2.  Decorating for the autumn season.




 







And as October comes to a close, doing a little "tweeking" in anticipation of Thanksgiving.




 3.  Freshly baked muffins and women's retreats

 I needed to bring four dozen muffins for the women's fall retreat so I tried a couple of new recipes, one was pumpkin nut and the other Cinnamon Crumb.  They both turned out delicious and I added two new recipes to my cookbook.



At the lodge with some of the lovely ladies from our church.

 
4.   A Basket of fresh baked bread.

My sister-in-law passed through for one evening with two of my nieces.  They were on their way to Hawaii and had stopped to meet up with my mother who was going with them.  I cooked spaghetti for the whole family.  This was just the perfect month for baking and my daughter-in-law baked these wonderful bread twists to share.  Can't you just smell the heavenly aroma?  They tasted as good as they looked.



5.  Time with extended family.

Seeing my children with their cousins for even such a short visit was the best blessing of all.


 I will be glad and rejoice in thee;  I will 
sing praise to they name, Oh thou most high.
Psalm 9:2



 





6 comments:

  1. You have so many wonderful windows in your home, and it decorates beautifully for fall. So pretty. And your family....love seeing all the kids, extended family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and I added the dining room ourselves. It took us 3 years to build it as we were able to get the materials each payday, board by board and nail by nail. It ended up being a beautiful room that's a lot of fun to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That color blue throw is so pretty. The fall tablecloth and centerpiece looks so nice. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Nancy, Thank you for stopping by and I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pretty fleece blanket must have been welcome during those October days. I hope your mother, sister-in-law and family have a restful time in Hawaii. It's good when cousins can get together. We enjoy such family times ourselves. Your muffins look delicious and just perfect for the retreat. I like the way you've decorated ready for Thanksgiving. I have a similar ornament that our daughter gave us of a man pushing a wheelbarrow full of bunches of grapes and the lady with a basket of the fruit, but yours of the Thanksgiving couple is even more beautiful and meaningful with the scripture on it. God bless you and your family now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Linda. Yes, the Pilgrim story is a big part of our Thanksgiving holiday traditions here in the states. I do love curling up in my blanket.

    ReplyDelete