Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Leavenworth, WA



We had so much fun at Mount Rainier we decided to make another trek into the mountains to the little town of Leavenworth, WA.  Nestled into the south side of the Cascade mountains, Leavenworth is a success story of a small town fighting for survival in a major economic downturn who turned themselves into a thriving Bavarian style tourist destination.  You can read a short history here.


~~~

It was raining off and on as we made our way up through the pass.  Even so, driving up the mountain roads we found ourselves surrounded with glorious autumn color.  



This fellow was guarding the the grounds of our hotel when we arrived.  He adds a bit of cachet, don't you think?




Looking like a little Bavarian gem in the middle of the mountains, the whole town was decorated for Octoberfest. Gorgeous baskets of late season summer flowers hanging above autumn arrangements of golden leaves, stalks of corn and pumpkins created  vivid visual displays as we walk through the town.












We spent two days wandering through the shops both during the days and into the evenings.  This metal sculpture shop is always a favorite place to stop in.  I was very tempted to bring home a copper leaf wreath or a pumpkin.





The evening window displays were lovely too.









Of course one of the fun things about traveling is sampling tasty local treats.  We had to check out the bakery.  I chose the raspberry and cream cheese strudel.  It was delicious.







This corner shop was filled with all kinds of mustards, relishes and jams we could sample.  

 

All these pepper jellies tasted so good.  Can you guess which jelly I took home with me?




If you chose this one, you would be correct.  I will just pour it over a brick of cream cheese and it will be the perfect spread to put on crackers during a holiday party. It will also be a wonderful reminder of our stay in lovely Bavarian inspired Leavenworth.


 



































10 comments:

  1. Lovely Leavenworth! How fun to visit while it's decorated for Oktoberfest. Ah, the bakery - I still have a photo of your mom and me in front of that fragrant place after we had sampled their pastries. Glad you had a good visit. Another thing that caught my eye was those metallic looking leaves made into wreaths and garlands. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have made some wonderful memories in Leavenworth over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't visited Leavenworth, in years. It is such a lovely village and your photos are great. You made me want to visit there again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leavenworth is such a lovely spot to visit over and over, no matter the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Gloriade. I'm catching up with your news as I haven't been blogging very much these last two weeks due to low energy levels and a need to rest. It looks as if you have had some lovely trips into the mountains lately. The towns you visited are pretty especially decked out for the autumn season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Linda, I pray your treatments will soon be coming to an end and that you will return to full energy and health. Thanks for stopping by my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. why hello, I am so glad you stopped by my blog today, your comment was so full of love, thank you. What a lovely little town. So wonderful that you and your husband of so many years were able to visit there, that is so very nice! I liked your post before this one too, with the search for Mt. Rainer. I have not lived in the Northwest in years, but lived in BC for 5+ years back in the late 1990s-early 2000's. :) The first mountain I ever saw was Mt Baker. Thanks again for your visit and comment to my blog, it's greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you too!. I enjoyed your blog very much and I am glad to know you enjoyed mine. Please stop by any time and I will visit you as well.

      Delete
  8. Bavarian absolutely. Such sweet shops. I've not been anywhere so vacation-like in ages. I appreciate how you and your husband make a point of traveling and your photos are beautiful. You have an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE do enjoy taking road trips together and although I am an amatuer I love taking pictures. Thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete