Thursday, September 8, 2016

Nature Walk

As most of you already know, things have been pretty quiet around here the last couple of months.  But now that The Inspector is starting to have more energy we decided it was time to take a nice long walk with one of my favorite cousins who was up visiting for the holiday weekend.  So we hopped in the car and made our way to the lowlands under the local trestle.

This is where we began our rambles, along the Snohomish River which flows into the bay beyond.   Doesn't this tree look like a perfect place to sit and read a book?



I love rugosa rose bushes.  These were growing all along the riverbank.  They usually bloom all summer long but as fall begins to close in all that's left are the rose hips.  I was tempted to pick some and bring them home to dry for rose hip tea.

My cousin is admiring the pretty pink pods.



 

As we continued our walk along the river we notice various kinds of wild flowers and plants.


Wild Sweet Peas
 

Little Purple CanadianThistles
 

Yarrow
 

Gold Buttons (Tansy)



Tiny Yellow Daisies
 

  Wild Blackberry Brambles
 
 
Some plants were already dried and perfectly preserved, all ready for someone's floral arrangement.



Gradually we made our way into the actual estuary looking for birds along the waterways but none were to be found.  It must be the wrong time of year.



 
 We spied a large waterway in the distance and decided to make our way across the marsh to see what we might find there.





The trail led us through a huge field of cattails, some that were taller than we were.



Imagine our surprise when we discovered  that what we thought was water was a low tide mud flat!



My cousin and I
By now it was long past lunch and time to start heading home.  As we made our way out of the marsh and back to the car we passed this pear tree laden with beautiful rosy fruit.  The animals in the area are going to have a feast!



 As we left the quiet marshes behind and headed towards the parking lot we finally saw a large flock of mallard ducks.  And where did we spot them?.... in a large pond right next to the busy and, I might add, very noisy freeway!!  Go figure.


 With the long Labor Day weekend over, Summer is officially at an end and this was a perfect way to let it go.  Autumn, here we come!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. It's a very nice spot for walking. I am very blessed to live in such a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are gorgeous! Blessed indeed, you are! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. I also love to take long nature walks and do this often! I find it to be very therapeutic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed my pictures. I agree, taking long walks definitely relieves a lot of stress.

      Delete
  3. You had a lovely quiet walk by the river. I would have been tempted to take some of those rose hips home. We were given rose hip syrup when we were children. The cattails is an interesting name as I call them bulrushes. There are signs of autumn now such as blackberries in the hedges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda, Welcome back, dear friend. Yes, autumn is starting to make itself felt. I recently went into a tea shop and saw a jar of dried rose hips on the shelf but I didn't purchase any. Perhaps I should go back and try some.

    ReplyDelete