Monday, September 12, 2016

A Neighborhood Walk

On Saturday afternoon we went to visit friends who had recently moved into a new home located in a lovely older neighborhood near a park, which made it a perfect place to enjoy another long walk.  Naturally, I had my little camera in my pocket and had to stop and snap a few photos here and there.  There were lots of pretty gardens along the way. 
~~~  

The light wasn't the best here, as I was taking the picture into the sun, but I really like all the different colors of green accented by the red tree. 



Maybe I will come back and take another walk in a few weeks to see if these trees have changed color.




Don't these yellow coneflowers (rubeckia) look striking against the red leaves of the plum tree?
 




 I love the way this evergreen tree as been shaped by the winds off the bay, as well as by careful pruning.  See the long shadows cast on the ground by the late afternoon sun.



Soon we made it to the park which sits up on a bluff overlooking the bay.  There was a little arboretum where we stopped to take a stroll.







Palm trees have been popping up all over in local gardens for the past 15 years or so.  I'm still surprised by them.  When I think of palm trees I think of a tropical setting, not the chilly northwest.  However, this type seems to do very well here, even in the snow.



We came upon some stone steps that led up to a fountain at the top.  It was a little too modern for my taste but the sounds of the water were pretty, and the spot felt tranquil in the dappled sunlight.





Entering the main part of the park we crossed over to the bluff overlooking the bay below. 




 There wasn't time today to just sit and stay, as it was time to head out for dinner with our friends. One day soon we will have to return to watch the sunset from this spot.

 Meanwhile, I hope you enjoyed our little walk.  Come back and visit again soon.

4 comments:

  1. I thought that bay view looked familiar! That is a wonderful little arboretum, don't you think? My sister and I enjoyed a visit there a few years ago. And the nearby neighborhood is very gracious indeed. It's so lovely to see all that lush green everywhere in your part of our nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara, Yes it is a lovely little gem. We should try to walk there again the next time you come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You enjoyed a pleasant walk. I like the spot by the fountain and the steps where the hostas are planted and the trees on either side of the path give some shade. It would be good to return and watch the sun setting over that beautiful bay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! The plum tree with the contrast of the rudbeckia is pretty! Nancy

    ReplyDelete