Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Thankful Thursday 16 - A Summer rain

I sit reading in the early evening.  Dinner is over and the washing up is done.  All is quiet as I turn the pages. Gradually I become aware of an unexpected sound.  It's raindrops falling on the roof.  I close my book and walk over to the door to peer out, and as I watch the water falling from the sky I suddenly have this need to be outside savoring this moment.

Sitting in a chair under the tap tapping sounds on the roof of the gazebo I gaze around watching puddles form on the bricks as I take in the cool refreshment of a summer rain at the end of a hot and sultry day.  The air is redolent with the fresh earthy smells of water and dirt and newly cut trees... heaven!  Fat raindrops splash hundreds of ripples in growing pools of liquid.   How does one capture the moment in pictures?  I can't, so I must use words instead.



The rain gradually comes to a stop.  I continue to sit quietly.  The chimes softly ring to the sounds of water trickling down the gutters and dripping off the trees.  In the quiet, I hear a solitary bird begin calling to another as it flies overhead.  Branches wave in the cool gentle breeze.  Off in the distance is the murmur of voices as families begin to return outdoors in the summer evening.





At this moment in the gathering twilight, all seems right with the world, and I feel a sense of peace, gratitude, joy... Eucharisteo

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words, and I feel like I was there too. You made it come alive.

    ReplyDelete