Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Tea Parties and Daffodils

Winter returned with a vengeance today with cold, blustery winds, rain, dropping temperatures and fresh snow on the mountaintops.  But I never would have expected it just two days before when we welcomed a possible candidate to fill our pulpit over the weekend.  Our church has been without a permanent pastor since last summer and we were excited to welcome this new young pastor and his family as they came to visit our congregation. 

One of the activities planned during their stay was a lovely tea party on Saturday morning given to honor the pastor's wife.  About 40 ladies from the church came to enjoy fellowship together.


Each table was set with hand embroidered white linens, charming little teapots and lovely china dishes. On each plate lay a pink tulip tied with a ribbon to each napkin.



Then, there were all the lovely treats that make a tea party so special, scones with raspberry jam, quiche, dainty sandwiches and fresh fruit followed by fruit tarts and cookies.


 The gorgeous quilts hanging on the walls were handmade by the mother of our hostess.  Everything was so lovely, it made me wish we were all dressed in summery floral dresses with big floppy hats.  But alas, this is 21st century American casualness at its best, or worst depending on how you look at it.   Ah well, everyone had a wonderful time and that's all that really matters in the end.

That's my mother sitting in front wearing her pretty blue scarf.


 After leaving the church later in the morning I came upon this parkway filled with golden daffodils in a neighborhood just a few blocks away.  I just had to stop to enjoy the flowers as well as this beautiful spring like day.



Of all the flowers to choose from, daffodils are one my favorites.  They are such perky flowers and yellow is one of my favorite colors.



I first fell in love with daffodils when I was 16.  My mother had severely injured her back and had to spend several weeks in the hospital. Even after she came home she was on complete bed rest for many more weeks.  I suddenly became the "lady of the house" responsible for getting meals on the table (that's when I really learned to cook), and keeping the house running for my dad and brothers.  Everyone helped out, but with my dad at work all day the major responsibility was mine when I got home from school each day.

 
Whenever my dad went to the hospital he would send me out into
the garden to pick some daffodils for him to take to my mom.  That's when I first noticed how happy they made me feel whenever, I saw them.  Indeed, A.A. Milne says "A house with daffodils in it is a house lit up, whether or no the sun be shining outside."



 Still today, whenever I see their bright, sunny petals, my spirit immediately rises up a little higher than before.  I hope they brighten your day as they brightened mine.


6 comments:

  1. That is a very lovely tea party! And your mom puts us all to shame (or me at least!) with her sense of style. I hope you have many more sunny springtime days soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had just come from another event where she had been volunteering and was disappointed that she hadn't been able to dress up a little more. I thought she looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely idea to host a tea party for the visiting candidate and family. I too love to see daffodils blooming by the wayside or specially planted to make our urban areas look attractive. An uplifting sight and a sign that Spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to think of Spring when it has been pouring down rain for the past few days. Hopefully that old saying of March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb will come true this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! What a lovely tea party. We are without a pastor at this time also. We have an interim pastor and he is preaching some great sermons. The daffodil pictures are gorgeous!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have enjoyed our interim but are really looking forward to the day when we have our own pastor once more.

    ReplyDelete