Sunday, July 31, 2016

Misadventures of a Pack Rat - Day 4

Life has had a little more stress than usual as the Investigator was in the hospital for surgery.  That's one of those difficult changes I alluded to in an earlier post. Now that he is home and recovering I have been back on task as I continue my purging efforts in addition to acting as caregiver for my sweet better half. I am happy to say he is getting better every day.  You will also see that I have not been idle.

With just snatches of time here and there everything looks a bit disorganized, but I know that with each item that ends up in a bag or box progress is being made.  Unfortunately, letting go of some things takes a little more time than just putting them into a bag and sending them out the door.


Books for the church library need to be cataloged before I can put them on the shelves.  The top box is finished and ready to go.  The bottom box still needs to be done. Hopefully, I will complete both of them before the week is out.  After that, I will still need to take them up to the church.

Sometimes it feels like everything I own has a story attached to it.



Three years ago I  crocheted two baby blankets for my niece's twins, one boy, one girl.  They both turned out very cute so I made another pink one for a close friend's first granddaughter.  Next, I started to make this blue one for another niece, but it seemed no matter how hard I tried, it just wouldn't come out right.  I pulled it out and started over 4 times before I finally gave up in frustration and threw everything into the back of my closet where it has been for well over a year.  I have felt guilty about not finishing it ever since and every time I stumble over it in my closet it mocks me!  I have finally decided I really don't want to ever finish it.   I also know there must someone out there who loves to crochet and who will enjoy using all this yarn .  So out it's going.


Aren't these stacking boxes cute?  I bought them in a lovely little gift shop some 22 or so years ago. I can still see the shop in my mind's eye filled with pretty dishes, silk flowers and assorted candles as well some antiques. I was wandering through with family visiting from out of town when I spotted them and decided to bring them home with me.  My husband was thrilled! LOL!  My house had more of a cottage theme back in those days so I had them sitting around on shelves or under the tree at Christmas.  However, much as I always liked them I never really used them for anything useful.  They are just empty boxes after all.  If someone has a suggestion for what to do with them, I'm open.  Otherwise, I need to just make myself give them away.



 These woven afghans are also from my cottage theme years.  I have already given several like them away.  These take up a lot of space in the linen closet but I almost never use them.  However, these last two do have some emotions attached to them.  The one on the right was the last Christmas gift I ever received from my oldest brother before he passed away two months later.  The one on the left was a gift from a very old and dear family friend who has also passed away in the last couple of years.  I am still trying to decide if these are going back into the closet, even if I don't use them or if a photograph of them is enough.  We will see.

Before you completely despair of my ever being able to let go of anything, I would also like to say I have been working on my bedroom closet for the last two days.   Between my hubby's naps I have collected several bags of clothes, shoes and purses as well as a few more books and tons of hangers, so all is not lost.  Purging is happening.  In fact, I have another trunk load of stuff that just needs to be loaded up and sent on it way.  Hurray!

6 comments:

  1. Well, my stacking boxes contain the few Christmas things I have left, some candles, and are stacked up at the head of the bed with the alarm clock on top. I used to keep them on bookshelves, packed with stuff that might get changed out now and then. Occasionally they were packed with nothing but themselves (nested), and shelved as one decorative box. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb, perhaps I will set them aside for now and see if I have some other things I could store in them. P.S. I have decided to keep my afghans too. I

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I remembering correctly the place and time of the purchase of these boxes? I still have mine as well, which I only use as decor, since I took the tiniest three as my share of the set (I love tiny things) so they sit with my Christmas books on the bookshelf. I've had other stacking boxes too but have gradually given them away, using them as boxes for gifts to others, instead of gift bags or wrapping paper. Sometimes it's not so easy to get rid of things with emotional ties though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That could be. I don't remember who was with me. My mom says she split her set. It could have been with you. Good Idea putting small ones with your Christmas books. Maybe I will do that with a couple of mine. That way if I give the others away I will still have the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that shade of blue crochet thread ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Summer,

    Thank you for stopping by. Yes, I used the same blue for my first baby blanket and it was really beautiful which is why I was so disappointed when thisone just wasn't coming out the way I wanted it to. I hope by giving it away that someone else will be able to create something special with it.

    ReplyDelete