Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Autumn Fun

I have been home from my trip to Georgia for a week now.  More on that later.  Let's just say I have been home for the past eight days or so recovering from Covid.  Once I started feeling better and tested negative I realized I had been really feeling hungry for something buttery and sweet, so I decided to do a little baking over the weekend.  Apricot is one of my more favorite flavors.  For me that means apricot and almond shortbread.  Since these are bar cookies, they come together fast and easy and taste, Oh, so delicious!

First, a buttery almond flavored shortbread crust,


Topped with apricot preserves and sliced almonds.


Then just bake and cut into squares, so easy, and a delightful little treat with a cup of tea.

 


Speaking of tea, my future daughter-in-law asked if she could use my dining room to host an Autumn tea party for her sister and friends who will be a part of her wedding party next summer.  Of course, it was the perfect motivation for me to get the house all decorated. There is still a little "tweeking" to do before her party on Friday, but it's coming along nicely.  The silver teapot set belonged to my grandmother, a gift for her 45th wedding anniversary. 



Of course the decorating didn't end in the dining room.




 

Getting back to my baking.  I also needed to make a seasonal dessert to take to our church's Autumn chili feed and hayride.  I chose to make a pumpkin dump cake.  Everyone loves a dump cake.  Once again so easy and quick, just dump all the ingredients together, pour in a pan, top with a powdered cake mix and melted butter, bake and Voila!  Dessert!


 






 And here it is ready to serve along with all the other yummy desserts and food.  Looks like someone  has already had a sample. Yum!


Getting to sample all the delicious chili recipes was yummy too.



One of our sister churches has a parishioner who owns a large farm outside of town where he hosts many church events for the district.  He graciously allowed us to come out and use his facilities.  The air was a bit smoky from the wildfires that have been burning in the foothills east of us.  Other than that, it was a perfect autumn afternoon for a hayride.









Watching the setting sun through the smoky sky was a bit eerie.The wind doesn't usually blow from the east. After a very long wet spring we have had an even longer dry summer with no real measurable rain since the end of June.


I am happy to say that even though it still hasn't rained yet, the wind has changed and the air is a little better, although it's still not all that healthy. There is rain in the forecast for the end of the week.  Funny how we long for the sunshine and then if it stays too long we pine for the rain. Lord help us to be happy no matter our circumstances Until next time.

Adieu! 


 



 





 



11 comments:

  1. Your decor is very lovely, and you've made a welcoming environment for the tea party. So there's another family wedding in the future! Exciting news, and congratulations to J and his fiance. Autumn is certainly a perfect time for baking and your two choices look delicious. Enjoy the blessings of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sara. Yes, Lord willing there is much to look forward to in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely decorating! I hope you are fully recovered from your illness!!! What Lovely wvents you have gone to/are decorating for! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am feeling much better. I do enjoy decorating. I have boxes and boxes for every season. Don't know what I will do when the time finally comes to begin downsizing. I am looking forward to all the lovely events that are coming up over the holiday seasons ahead.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love decorating too! downsizing is something all of us have to face at one time or another! Bless you! and thanks for your prayers and comment on my blog :)

      Delete
    3. I am so glad you are recovering so well.

      Delete
  4. Are you willing to share the recipe for those Apricot Almond Bars. They look like something I would so enjoy. So glad you are feeling better. What fun to enjoy a Fall tea in your home. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, yes I will try to get that recipe to you very soon.

      Delete
  5. I hope you and the family are keeping well as I know that you had health problems at the beginning of the year. Your Autumn decorations look beautiful and the food you serve to family and friends looks delicious. Seasonal blessings dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your decorations are very pretty, and the girls will enjoy their tea at your house I'm sure. The chili, hayride etc on the farm sound like a fun time. The last time I went to a hayride was when I was in High School. I also love apricot and your bar cookings sound wonderful. Glad you got over Covid. I recently have as well. Such a bummer. All this time, being so careful, and fully vaccinated and then boom! Hope you had a light case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the tea party was a great success. My future DIL is very talented. The hayride was great fun. I have always loved being around horses. I hope you have fully recovered from your experience with Covid.

    ReplyDelete