Friday, July 10, 2020

Is it summer yet?

It has been a pretty soggy summer so far.  That has meant bad news for my new raised bed vegetable garden.  We have been in the process of moving wood piles out of this area. but it gets lots of sunshine so it seemed a good place to try my hand at planting some edibles. The Inspector built the beds and I planted pumpkins, cucumbers, beets and a tomato plant. I was supposed to be harvesting my beets next week, but as you can see they have barely even peeked up out of the ground it has been so cool, dark and damp. The pumpkin plants look anemic and unfortunately, the rains washed the cucumber plants right out of the hill! 



This bed was supposed to be green beans and carrots.  Hmmm....  It's a very good thing no one is depending on me for their harvest canning this fall!


Happily my planters and pots are flourishing, even if this is the first sunny afternoon we have seen in a week. 










It's raspberry season on my back deck. I have had to watch them closely as all the wet weather has caused some berries to start molding.  I have to be sure to pick them the moment they are ripe.




And fresh picked raspberries means....

 

 Fresh baked lemon-raspberry muffins with lemon glaze, Yum!! 




~~~~

 Between the rainstorms we were able to get down to the lake with our granddaughter a couple of weeks ago.  Water and sand!  Is there anything a kid likes better than that?  She was having so much fun she didn't want to leave for lunch.  Next time we will pack a picnic.







 


This park has become our new favorite place, especially since we have to stay so much closer to home this year. Here's hoping we have more sunny summer days ahead of us.


"Summertime, Summertime
Let's go out and play
Time for fun, and lots of sun
I love these kinds of days"


Adieu!


8 comments:

  1. Times spent with your granddaughter are precious and fun I know. I'm sure she enjoys the fruit you grow. The muffins look delicious. It was a good idea to construct some raised beds so that you can grow some vegetables. The flowering plants on the deck area look colourful. May you continue to be blessed by the Lord in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Hopefully, next year we will have better luck with the vegetable garden.

      Delete
  2. Such sweet summer pleasures!! The rasberries look delicious!! And the muffins, it must taste extra delicious when you use the berries that you grow in your garden. Your granddaughter is so precious. I feel nostalgic to remember when my daughter was little and summers with her and my my mom at the beach! Happy and blessed summer days to you and your family!!♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Shayndel. I tried a new recipe and was pleased with the results. It's always nice to have a little treat in the freezer to share with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your vegetables, Gloria! I'd export some sunshine to you if I could. But my oh my, look at all those potted flowers and berries you've got. They are wonderful. And so are those muffins. I wish we lived closer... ;-) Enjoy your summer and I hope the weather catches up with the season for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara! I wish we lived closer too. A visit once every couple of years isn't enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers are thriving and they are so pretty. So sorry about the vegetable garden. We are just now seeing more proper summer weather here on the northeast side of Washington. How nice to spend time with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ellen, I love geraniums and daisies. My grandfather always used to grow a big patch of lovely daisies right outside the kitchen door. I can still see them in my minds eye.

    ReplyDelete