Friday, May 1, 2015

Thankful Thursday, A walk through a Spring Garden

I'm not really much of a  gardener in the true since of the word. Oh, I have sort of played at it over the years, cutting, pruning and pulling weeds when the mood strikes, but rarely with the dedication my garden probably deserves. That's why I am always so amazed when spring comes and I am surrounded by all this color and beauty. I took a stroll around the garden the other morning.  After several days of spring rain everything looked so bright and fresh;  rich greens and pink petals all combined into a glorious portrait of color.  Let me take you on a little blossom tour.


 This first picture is of the cherry trees in the field behind our yard.  Even though it's not really part of our property it's the first thing I notice every morning as I look out the dining room window.. 

Looking out the front kitchen window is our Golden Chain tree.  Isn't it lovely?  My husband has never liked it, and over the years I have had to threaten him whenever he has considered cutting it down.  I think it's beautiful when it's in bloom. I remember how our kids loved to climb in it when they were little.



 I think the red leaves of the Japanese Maple make a beautiful foil for the yellow blossoms. 


The contrast of texture between the white blossoms and the shiny leaves of this shrub are striking.  I don't remember what it's called, some kind of a mock orange, I think.


This is beginning of the rhododendron season. This bush is right next to the house,  Aren't the colors on these blossoms exquisite?  Look at all the detail on each petal.




Moving around to the back finds us at one of my favorite spots, under the dogwood tree.  The tree was only about four feet tall when my husband planted here the first summer we moved in .  Now it's about 30 years old.  It has suffered some damage from when the big house behind it was built but it's still a beautiful tree.  The brilliant reds of the rhododendron are striking as well.



 

 And we mustn't forget the apple blossoms.




There was just one lone blossom left on the pear tree.  Most have already come and gone...
 leaving behind the beginning formations of the fruit the tree will bear by summer's end.

Last but not least, are the lilacs, almost forgotten behind the garden shed.




  How can one one not be thankful surrounded by so much beauty?  And the reminder that after the dark winter, spring always comes.

See how the lilies of the field grow.  
They do not labor or spin
Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor
was dressed like one of these
Matt: 7:28-29





6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your garden is glorious. and your golden chain is a new one to me. Will have to look that one up. Love every bit of your hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this time of year everything looks its best and all the lovely flowers make you forget all the weeding that still needs to be done. :)

      Delete
  2. 'Golden chain' is a good word for the laburnum. It's a joy when the trees bring forth their blossom at this time of the year. I'm looking forward to lilac time where we live as this will be the next tree to flower in our neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the lilacs. Purple is one of my favorite colors and the scent just fills the house when you bring them inside.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I wish we could smell over the computer . . . I would leave your post on my screen all day long:) Aren't you glad that you live in a region where you can experience all four seasons:) Have a lovely week.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so blessed to live in this part of the country. We have seen some lovely places in our travels but there are few that compare to the natural beauty that surrounds us here.

      Delete