Saturday, February 27, 2016

A Change in the Air

  This is the time of year when the weather can be unpredictable.  Some years the entire month will find us frozen over with temperatures below freezing. There is little snow but the ground is cold and hard, the wind harsh and the days spent inside with a blazing fire in the fireplace.  Other years, we experience an early taste of spring. The weather is balmy and it feels more like April or May than February.  This year has been somewhere in-between.  A few days ago, after weeks of chilly wind and rain we woke up to a morning of bright sunshine and cloudless skies.  We also woke up to first frost we had seen in some time.





 Fortunately, as the week progressed each day got a little warmer giving me a chance to get outside to work in the garden a little.  And boy, does my garden need some TLC.  As you can see, I haven't been out here much in the past few months and it sure shows.  There is much to be done. 


It's hard to get to everything during the school year.  However, with this lovely weather I have managed to spend a few hours getting flower beds cleaned out.  The snowdrops and crocus are making their appearance.




 And buds are popping out on the trees.



This is my neighbor's pussy  willow.  Don't you think the catkins look like little fuzzy caterpillars?








I saw my first robin of the season at my mom's house yesterday and snapped this picture from my car across the street.  This fellow and his mate were searching for worms in the grass.


Today the rain clouds began rolling back in.  Thunderstorms are predicted for tomorrow.  I know that Winter is not quite through with us yet but the wind is a little more gentle and Spring is definitely on it's way. 




 

5 comments:

  1. We're also having cold nights with frosty mornings and changeable weather - sometimes bright and sunny, sometimes dull and damp. It's lovely to see the signs of Spring although we're in a transition period between seasons. Outdoor gardening is not happening here just yet. We've dug up the last of the root vegetables and picking the purple sprouting broccoli. Seedlings are being nurtured on window sills and shelves. I know you have less time to garden than we do in our retirement. Thinking of you, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we do live in similar climates. It will be nice to be retired some day and have more time for things at home in all seasons.

      Delete
  2. I always find it interesting when folks miss robins during the winter. We're in Tennessee and have them year round. :) And they travel in packs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Encouraging news! Spring is on it's way.....or so we hope! There is a certain beauty about the cold but I do prefer a little warmer! Have a great week! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to Spring although Autumn is really my favorite season.

      Delete