Sunday, October 24, 2021

Hats and more Hats!

Did Adam and Eve ever wear head coverings?  I have absolutely no idea.  However, I do know that hats have been recorded to have been around since at least 3200 BC.

 I have always like hats.  I still have pictures of me as a little girl wearing my Easter outfits with my little Easter hats and matching gloves.  I remember having a little rabbit fur lined bonnet that tied under my chin with a little matching fur muff too.  Unfortunately, mine was the last generation to consider the hat to be a fashion  necessity. It seems by the mid-60's that only public figures were ever seen wearing hats. So, by the time I was a teenager a hat was considered "Passe" at least with the general middle class.   I still  liked hats and would try them on in stores, but I didn't have the confidence to be seen wearing one in public. 

That changed as I grew older and I spend much less time worrying about what other people think of my fashion choices.  I have managed to collect a few hats over time.  I have worn them at different seasons of my life and put them away for others.  This past year I came across my box of hats while I was cleaning out a closet.  I decided I was more than ready to bring them out and start wearing them again.  I have been having a lot of fun with them all summer and fall.  I wanted to share some of my favorites with you.  

This was one of my first "grown-up" hats.  I bought it in my late twenties which makes it about 40 years old. I would wear it to church on Sundays. I have not worn it in a very long time, and I am looking for the right outfit so I can start wearing it to church again.  It's still one of my favorites.

 





These two hats came along in my late thirties when I was battling breast cancer.  I really disliked wearing wigs and I would tie up my head with a scarf and wear a hat over it.  It made me feel feminine, beautiful  and fashionable.  The scarf tied around the green hat was the one I would wear under it all those years ago.  I am a survivor and these two hats remind me of that. They still make me feel beautiful and fashionable and I have been enjoying wearing them again all through the fall.

After my recovery I put my cancer hats away for a while and mainly focused on sun hats for a few years.


You have seen this hat before on my post for the color red.  Of course, it's perfect for the Fourth of July.

 

A simple black straw hat for a sunny afternoon.



I found this peach sunhat in South Carolina on a family vacation about 15 years ago.  It goes perfectly with this new summer dress.


And this navy blue is a lovely addition to this summer outfit.  I must admit, I bought it new this year.


 




This is my "wear everywhere, goes with anything" favorite hat, (And my two lovely granddaughters!)  I picked it up on a whim in Leavenworth a few summers ago. Ever since, it has been my "go to" hat whenever the sun peeks out.  Everyone should have one of those.

 

My oldest and newest hats sit perched on my dresser. This is my first time trying this mid 20th century cloche style.  I think I like it.


 



There are those who say that the kind of a hat you wear expresses who you are.  I don't do cowboy hats or baseball caps because I don't feel good in them.  Wearing the right hat gives me a certain vibe that makes me feel more confident.  I don't do ruffles but I do like things to feel feminine.  I guess I am a romantic at heart.  I think a hat can really give a finished look to any outfit and that most anyone can wear one.  You just have to find the the right style that suits your face and personality. So, how about you?  Do you like hats?  Do you wear them?  Do you have a favorite?  And if not hats, what is your favorite fashion accessory?  I would love to hear.

May the Lord bless you with joy this day and always.

Adieu!

 



 


 

6 comments:

  1. You wear some elegant hats. I'm not a hat wearing person although I do remember when the ladies in our family donned some pretty ones back in the era of the 1960s. At one time every lady wore a hat in church. I have a collection of scarves, both thin ones and cosy thick ones. Now when out for a walk and the weather is chilly I wear a knitted angora wool beret or a lovely warm hand knitted one sent over to the UK made by a dear blog friend who lives in New Zealand. She no longer blogs, but I think of her often. Now I shall picture you in one of your beautiful hats. Every blessing dear Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda. I do remember hats in church when I was a little girl. Scarves are fun too. I have a couple of nice warms ones my cousin knitted for me which I wear when the weather is really chilly. I also have some lovely ones my mother has brought back to me from her various travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you can wear hats so well. Our daughter looks great in any hat but not me. I like the mid-century one on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ellen! Yes, I think I really like that one. I think I might I might enjoy wearing a few more different colors of that style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely in all of them, and I am also admiring the various stylish fashions you are modeling with the hats. You look great. I am not much of a hat wearer except sunhats (which are totally necessary) when outdoors for any length of time. I do love hats though. You have a good collection there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Cousin! I tend to collect hats the way people collect shoes. It's the first place I head for in any gift shop. I think you would look good in hats. You just have to find the style you feel most comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete