Monday, April 13, 2015

Rainy Day Baking

As I arrived home from my first day back at school after a wonderful week of spring sunshine and warm temperatures I was greeted by lashing wind and rain as I entered the house.  There was no feeling of Spring on this day.  In fact, the day had the definite feeling that Winter is not quite through with us.  Perhaps that is a good thing as it has meant more snow in the mountains which also means more water for the farmers come summer.  However, it made for a rather chilly day for us.

Rain falling on the front brick courtyard The Investigator put in last summer.




It seemed like a perfect afternoon to do a little baking.  There is nothing like a warm kitchen with the scent of something deliciously sweet coming from the oven on a rainy day.   Since I had just spent a few hours weeding around the blueberry bushes a couple of days ago I was reminded of the bags of fresh blueberries I had in the freezer.

Summer blueberries in the garden.


I also had a couple of lemons in the fridge so I decided it was time to try a new recipe for Lemon Blueberry Nut Bread that I have been thinking about for a while.  I found it at one of my new favorite places http://blog.nellsoldfashionrecipes.com/  I followed the recipe exactly, except I put in only about half the amount of blueberries which seemed like plenty to me.

I need to grate a little lemon zest before squeezing.   




Yummm! 
 


I love making nut breads.  They are good for just about anything from breakfast to afternoon tea and are always well received as a gift to a neighbor or friend.  In fact, I think I will take a few slices to my widowed neighbor who just got out of the hospital. The bread turned out perfectly and tastes delicious.  I think I will be making this again. 

4 comments:

  1. It looks very luscious and I only wish I were near enough to drop by for a cup of tea with you on a cold, rainy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we lived close enough that you could :)

      Delete
  2. Using fruit from the garden is satisfying. I've just been eating a slice of pear and ginger cake made by our daughter using our bottled pears. It's good to know that come Summer there should be more to eat fresh and then the surplus can be preserved. Your cake looks delicious and I hope the weather gets warmer again for you, although we do need the rain as well - in moderation, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, picking your own fruit from your own garden is very satisfying. We are looking forward to some sunny days starting tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete