Thursday, September 11, 2014

Rasberry Almond Cookies

I was raised in that American era when middle class dads went off to work and most moms worked at home taking responsibility for raising the family. Meals were usually home cooked and lots of home baking took place.  And boy, did I ever have a mom who loved to bake.  She was constantly mixing something together; pies, cakes, breads and pastries and a vast array of cookies.  There was almost always a plate of cookies ready to be eaten with a glass of milk after school. One of my favorite snacks was a wonderful sugar type cookie with Jam in the middle called "Split Seconds."  I couldn't get enough of them when I was growing up.  So when I found a recipe for these raspberry shortbread bars I just had to try them.  I was not disappointed.  Not only are they absolutely delicious but they are pretty to look at too.  I loved the red jeweled look of the jam and the sliced almonds piled on top. 


My mom still loves to bake  So whenever I stop by for a visit there is sure to be some baked treat waiting for me to enjoy with a cup of tea.  Now I have something new to share with her too.

1 comment: