Monday, July 31, 2017

Misadventures of a Pack Rat - Day 5 Surprises in the Attic

While digging through the attic this spring, my children decided it was time for them to go through their things and figure out what they wanted to keep.  So when we returned from our winter adventures we came home to a garage full of  so many boxes and trunks for us to all sort through, there was no room left for the cars (sigh).  Not exactly how I wanted to start my first week home after being gone for 3 months, but it did keep me from procrastinating for too long. 

As I was purging, I came across a box filled with what's left of my old doll collection.  I played with all my dolls (that's what they are for right?) so they are not exactly in "collectable" condition, but I sure remember having a lot of fun with them at the time.

When I was about 7 years old my grandmother signed me up for a "Dolls Around the World" club.  Every month or so I received a doll dressed to represent a different country.  I must have had thirty or so of them.  These are the ones that are left.  From left to right they represent Greece, Spain, Scotland, Sweden, China and Ireland.



I also had about twenty or so that were actually made in their country of origin.  These three came from Italy, Israel and Korea.  (Please excuse some of my photos.  It seems my lens needed cleaning)
  
 

 This little Japanese doll with different wigs was a gift my dad brought home to me from Okinawa in 1962.  She was much used and loved.
 


One of the most interesting dolls I had was this one, probably made in the 30's or 40's as it belonged to my mother.  It comes from the redwood country of Northern California. I saw one in a museum when we were visiting the area a few years ago but no one could tell me anything about it. With the exception of the plaster face, it is made completely from strips of redwood bark woven together. I couldn't really play with her but she hung on my bedroom wall until I was a teenager.




In addition to my dolls, I also discovered this pretty glass perfume bottle which belonged to my grandmother.   I remember it sitting on the dresser in her bedroom when I was a little girl.  My mother must have saved this plaster print of my hand, probably from kindergarten or first grade. Truthfully, I am not sure what I want to do with these things.  So for the time being, they have been carefully wrapped back up and packed away. 

 






However,  There has been one thing I found which I am keeping out...this little tea set.  I remember it, but I don't remember where or when I got it.




The lid to the teapot seems to be missing but that doesn't mean that my little granddaughter and I can't still enjoy some future tea parties together. I will look forward to that. That's my little trip down memory lane. I hope you enjoyed it.

Adieu!


5 comments:

  1. That's quite a collection of dolls! How special to still have them. I've saved a lot of my children's favorite toys and games for future grandchildren. I now have 1 grandson (he's only 2.5 months old at this time), and I'm looking forward to watching him play with same toys his dad enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I am loving being a Grandma. My little granddaughter is 7 months old and growing so fast. It's such fun watching her grow and learning something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
































  3. That is quite a collection of dolls. I think our daughter had some of those given to her by her aunt. Love the little tea set. Nancy


    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your little granddaughter having tea. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to get through bottles and sippy cups first, but some day....:)

    ReplyDelete