Thursday, January 5, 2017

Skillet Chicken with Creamy Lime Cilantro Sauce

I don't really make official New Year resolutions but I have challenged myself to go beyond just looking at recipes this year and to actually start trying some of them out.  I don't know about you but I have found that I tend to make the same few things over and over because they are tried and true, and when the kids come over to visit they are sure to please.

Now that I have a little more time, I would like to branch out and expand my repertoire of menu ideas, at least a couple of times a month.  This Skillet Chicken recipe I found on Pinterest here , seemed like a good one to start with. 

I didn't have any fresh chicken breast so I defrosted some frozen ones from the freezer. 

First, I browned the chicken until golden on both sides, then I put it on a plate and covered it with foil.  



  To make the sauce I chopped up some onion and cilantro and squeezed the juice from a fresh lime.  All this was added to the skillet with chicken broth. (I am really a messy cook!)  I also added just a dash of red pepper flakes not the 1/2 tsp it called for as I don't like things too spicy hot.



After the broth reduced to about half, I added butter and cream.


Then I added the chicken back into the skillet and placed it in the oven to bake about 5-10 minutes.



While the chicken finished in the oven I cooked up some broccoli seasoned with a little butter and salt free seasonings.  When everything was ready I just dished it up and... Voila! Dinner!





 The lighting in the kitchen was a little off, but you get the idea.  The best part was the guys really liked it.  And with a few oven roasted potatoes or rice pilaf I think it would make a great company meal.  Not too bad for a first try.   This one is a keeper.  The only thing I would change would be to double the amount sauce.

I am feeling pretty proud of myself at the moment but I am guessing that tomorrow night dinner will probably end up being something like tater tot casserole.  Happy Cooking!



 

5 comments:

  1. I can imagine how good that smelled cooking. And, yes, would love tater tot casserole. Haven't ever made it, but would definitely eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I will have to blog my tater tot casserole sometime. I will probably make it soon to take over to the oldest son's for dinner over the weekend. It's a favorite and new mothers deserve all the help they can get the first few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tend to cook tried and tested recipes too. The children and grandchildren enjoy my husband's cooking, especially his Italian recipes. Your chicken in a sauce looks good and I like the fact that you have a skillet that you can start the cooking on the top of the oven and then finish it off in the oven. Your son and DiL will appreciate a casserole. Enjoy your visit this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave a skillet like this as a wedding gift to one of my nieces a couple of years ago and liked it so much I got one for myself later. Love that I can make a complete dish in just one pan. I bet your husband makes some marvelous Italian meals. Perhaps you could share one some time. :) I

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how lovely! I think I missed this post, though I do have you in my feedly reader! What a nice meal you made! delicious!!! Such a joy to find a new recipe!!! thank you so much for your kind comment just now - I felt so blessed by it - thank you! I am so glad to be in the 12 days of Christmas! tonight we hope to have our young Munchkin and his Mom over for dinner! (All premade, just has to be heated up!)

    ReplyDelete