Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Summer's End

 After days of stifling heat a welcome change was in the air on Saturday morning.  A cooling breeze had made its way across the miles from the Pacific Ocean beyond causing the window blinds to sway.  Outside we could hear the rustling of the leaves and the clatter of the wind chimes.  As I stepped out onto the front porch I could see clouds gathering from the west.  Watching them sailing quickly past, I noticed the sky was rapidly changing from bright blue to soft gray and I wondered if it was just marine cloud cover or if a storm was coming.  


The sky was mostly blue with just a few clouds when I first stepped outside.


You could hear the flag flapping in the wind.

Within a matter of minutes the sky was gray with clouds.

As it turned out, the clouds remained for a couple of days, but there were only a few sprinkles, just enough to dot the bricks before moving on.  By Monday the sun was back.  It was a gentle reminder though, that the summer is almost at an end.  September is just a few days away and school will begin next week after the long Labor Day Weekend.

It is time to stop and reflect on the passing season.  It has not been a summer filled with big trips, relatives coming to stay or exciting events to take part in. The Inspector has been recovering nicely from his health issues and it has rather been a time of sticking pretty close to home.  So there are no exciting photos or stories to tell, just a gentle passing of days and experiences.

1.  Summer Roses in a Vase


I picked these from the rose bush in my mom's garden, planted in memory of my father.

2.  Sunflowers rising up to the sky.


These are actually in my neighbor's garden but I can see them from my front courtyard every day.

3.  Deer in the Garden


Always welcome as long as they leave my roses alone!

4.  Fresh Summer Fruit


Fresh Cherries from the orchards over the mountains.
 
Raspberries from the bush I planted in a pot on the back deck.


There were a lot of berries for the first year and they were delicious!

 Ripe pears picked straight from the tree.
 
Then eaten fresh or canned for the winter.


 5.  Watching the kids learn to paddle board on the Lake.


Our son-in-law getting his bearings.
Our daughter isn't quite ready to try standing up yet!


6.  Helping our son move into his new home.


Backing up to a lovely greenbelt.
A lovely corner fireplace in the living room.
Our daughter-in-law and her mother putting the final touches on the bedroom.
 The boys are putting in the garage door opener.  Ordinarily The Inspector would be up on the ladder but he can't lift anything right now.
Unpacking the kitchen


 7.  Reading, Reading, Reading!

I have discovered the historical mystery series Maisie Dobbs and I have been voraciously reading them ever since.   I read the first book at the beginning of the summer and I am now on book number nine!

And so, summer is coming to a close and I am content.


 





6 comments:

  1. Wow, on the 9th book of the series! That is a lot of reading. I've heard of these Maisie Dobbs books from someone, sometime. Maybe I read an article somewhere. I love the beautifully arranged roses, and the pears, and kids' new house, and all of it. Your summer has been very full, even if not hugely exciting. I think we are all looking forward to the coming Autumn season . . . lucky you will get to enjoy it sooner than we down here at the bottom of California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying home this summer has given me may long quiet afternoons to relax and read which is one of my favorite activities. Hoping to maybe do a little traveling in the fall.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful summer you have had! I am interested in your raspberries in the pot to see if they make it through the winter. I have a couple plants I transplanted in pails for the move. Hope they make it! Have a nice fall! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing how they go through the winter as well. If they look good I will plant a couple more.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see family members enjoying activities on the lake and your son and daughter in-law arranging furniture in their new house. Blessings on them as they settle into their new home. Quiet days full of good things - may such days continue for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I am praying the same things for you.

      Delete