Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Happy Saint Patricks Day

My dad's father was Irish and his mother was German which made him half Irish and me a wee bit Irish. 


  I'm not sure who enjoys celebrating St. Patrick's Day more, the Irish or the Irish Americans.  Did you know that the first St. Patrick's Day Parade was held in New York City in 1792?  And that the original soda bread was made by the Native Americans right here in North America hundreds of years before it made it to Ireland?  Wherever it came from the Irish have made it their own.  It's just not Saint Patrick's Day without leprechauns, shamrocks and Irish soda bread.



I used to have a wonderful recipe for Soda Bread which I used to make and bring to school each year in celebration of the patron saint of Ireland, but then several years went by when Saint Patrick's day didn't fall on a school day and over time I lost my recipe.  This year, I decided to revive the tradition but I needed to find a new recipe.  Last night I put it to the test.

 
This is my loaf all ready to go into the oven.  There are several traditional reasons given for why the cross is cut across the top.  Some believed it was to allow the devil to escape the bread while it baked and thus bring good luck.  Others say it's just so the bread can be easily broken into four pieces.  Still others believe it to be the Christian cross.


Here it is all crusty and warm from the oven...



and finally all sliced and ready to share with friends.  I hope you enjoy the day.  Don't forget to wear green and put an O' in front of your name.  After all everyone is a wee bit Irish on Saint Patrick's Day.

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

 
 


4 comments:

  1. Some lovely thoughts and traditions for St. Patrick's Day. I have many Irish friends and my older daughter's late husband was of Irish descent so the day is special. One particular school I taught in the majority of pupils and staff had Irish connections. The children would dance around the playground in a line doing an Irish jig. Every blessing to you and yours on St. Patrick's Day and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda. It's always fun to see the children at school all dressed up in green. The younger one's have been making "Leprechaun traps" in their classrooms. Today when they come to school they will find chocolate gold foiled "coins" in their traps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! It was interesting to read about the Irish. I am half Irish. McKee was my maiden name. I have never tasted Irish Bread. Eat a piece for me! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe was good but not quite as good as the one I had before. I think I am going to try out a few different recipes before choosing one for my own again.

    ReplyDelete