Thursday, February 4, 2016

Thankul Thursday - 14

This is the time of the year when it's not always easy to get motivated.  The days are often dark and cold and the leaden skies are filled with a mass of gray clouds.  Even when it isn't raining, the sky can look dull and gloomy.  The other day I asked someone at school how she was doing and her answer was that she was just sloshing through the day.  Sloshing...there's a good word that describes the month of January around here.  

In the ordinary routines of just getting up and going to work everyday, coming home to a house that needs to be cleaned and dinner that needs to be put on the table, it's sometimes hard to capture Eucharisteo but just when I get to the point where I want to put up my hands in despair God reminds me again of the blessings that are all around me when I stop to remember.

I get up each morning to a day that is still black, but as I stumble into the shower and hot water begins to flow down my face I remember the blessings of clean hair and clean clothes followed by a warm cup of tea.


 I look outside and see the pink light of an early morning sunrise peeking through the clouds before everything closes up again and it begins to rain.  In the quiet I can hear the soft song of the wind chimes on the morning breeze.


 And I remember some of the blessings of these past couple of weeks.

1.  A softly whispered, "Good Morning" that starts my day.
2.  The smell of fresh cookies baking in the oven.
3.  Holding the hand of a grieving friend and sharing prayers and tears as we remember together the life of a husband of 60 years.
4.  The flash of  blue as a jay hops from branch to branch in the tree outside my window.
5.  The scream of an eagle off in the distance as I step out my door.



But one of the best reminders of God's blessings came as I was driving to work yesterday.  As I made my way down the hill to the lake road and headed around the corner, suddenly, there spread before my eyes was this reminder of God's majesty and the mighty works of his hands, and I was transfixed with the beauty of it.  I wanted so badly to just stop and drink it all in and let it fill my soul but I was on my way to school and I wasn't able stop.  All morning that's all I could think about.   So I went back out during my lunch with the only camera I had with me.  I couldn't even begin to capture my awesome wonder of that moment and how it filled me up with deep thanksgiving and joy.  God...the creator of this amazing scene loves puny little me...Eucharisteo



 Before the mountains were born, before you had formed the earth and the world, from eternity past to eternity future you are God.
Psalm 90:2


6 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, and your last photo is breathtaking. To see those snow covered peaks in person, no wonder you were filled with joy and thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Sara. I know that I am blessed beyond words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty teapot and delicious looking cake! There's so much to be thankful for. Thank you for sharing some of the reasons why you give thanks. We're blessed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's apple bread. I make it from our apple trees in the fall and then freeze it to enjoy over the winter. The teapot was a gift from my mom brought back from a trip to England a few years back.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for mentioning that it's apple bread as I thought it might be a walnut cake. I think we call it a loaf cake if it's cooked in a loaf shaped tin. Apples from your own trees is even better and what a good idea to freeze it. Thinking of you and your family especially this month.

      Delete
  4. We are down to our last loaf. :( Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete