Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Bunny Sugar Cookies



It was about 60 years ago when my mother received a little metal cookie cutter shaped like a bunny.  With it was a cookie recipe that was going to become a family classic from then on.  Every year since then we have looked forward to a taste of Mom's bunny sugar cookies at Easter.  The recipe followed me as I left home to start my own family and I extended it to other holidays, especially Christmas time when it becomes stars, bells and Christmas trees but the taste is the same and my children still know it as the Bunny Cookie Recipe. 

This year, with my mother out of town for Easter, it was up to me to see that Bunny Cookies were on the table on Easter Sunday.  


I started with just a few basic ingredients, flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and shortening, as well as vanilla, soda and cream of tarter.








First, I mix the butter, shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla together.

 
 After sifting together, the dry ingredients, I add it to the butter mixture.



  Everyone measures differently, so if the dough seems a bit too soft you can add a little more flour, but not too much.  Then chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes



After it's chilled, roll out the dough and then cut your shapes. I use my own little bunny cookie cutter which I have had for about 40 years. 



 The cookies will bake for just a few minutes and when they come out of the oven you will have a soft, tender yet flaky cookie that is not too sweet and perfect for frosting.


 Finally, I frost with butter cream frosting and decorate.  The original recipe calls for coconut that has been tinted green but a couple of kids prefer them plain so I do some of both.  




And there you have it, a perfect cookie for any season of the year.
Easter is over so I will just wish you a joyful celebration of Spring.
This is the day that the Lord has made.


Bunny Sugar Recipe

1/2 cup butter                                            3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter shortening                            1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar                                                2 tsp cream of tarter
3 eggs                                                       1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream together sugar, butter, shortening and eggs and vanilla.  Blend well.  Sift together flour, soda and cream of tartar.  Add to batter and mix well.  Chill 30 minutes.  Roll out on a floured board to about 1/4 inch.  Cut with cookie cutter shapes.  Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 5- 6 minutes  at 425 degrees.  Cool and frost with butter cream frosting.


Butter Cream Frosting

1/2 cup butter
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla 
5-6 TBSP milk

Blend Well

4 comments:

  1. I adore sugar cookies, and have a favorite recipe, but am sure glad you shared yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, sugar cookies are one of my favorites too. Now you will have to share yours one day. :)

      Delete
  2. Happy (belated!) Easter!
    I'm sure your bunnies added to the fun. Mu grandchildren would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Kids love cut out cookies don't they?

    ReplyDelete